Hot Buckwheat Noodle Salad
- 2 portions buckwheat noodles
- 1 handful of finely chopped carrots
- 1 handful of shredded cabbage – red or white
- 1 handful of any other crunchy veg – brocolli/fennel/radish
- 2 handfuls of raw leaves – watercress/baby spinach/sliced lettuce
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Splash of tamari or a pinch of sea salt
- Fresh herbs – coriander/mint/basil
- Small handful of any nuts and seeds
- 1 lemon or lime, juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Sea sale and pepper to taste
- Optional: Finely shredded chilli/finely chopped ginger
Cook your buckwheat noodles according to the packet – use plenty of water but don’t add oil – during the first minute of cooking use two forks to stir and separate the noodles.
When tender, drain and rinse with cold water for about 15 seconds to stop them cooking further. Set aside to drain, tossing a little toasted sesame oil through to stop the noodles sticking.
While the noodles are cooking, chop up, grate or mandolin your vegetables.
On medium heat, dry toast your nuts or seeds in a frying pan or wok until golden brown – this will only take a minute so keep your eye on that pan! Set aside.
Turn the heat up on the pan and add in the coconut oil and red/spring onion.
After 30 seconds or so, add your “hardest” vegetables first – this will probably be your carrots – and stir fry on a high heat for two minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables and stir fry for a further minute – you want to lightly cook your vegetables to retain crunch and the bright colours. Cook your vegetables a little more if you need to, a few tablespoons of water helps to steam them.
Turn off the heat, add the cooked noodles and a splash of Tamari or sea salt to taste and toss.
If using raw leaves, add them now. Spoon over dressing and toss everything together.
Top with toasted nuts and seeds. To save on washing up and to keep your salad hot let everyone help themselves from the pan.